September 3rd Runoff Election for District 36
The information below was compiled in collaboration with the Arkansas Democratic Black Caucus.
On Tuesday, September 3rd, there will be a runoff election to fill Arkansas House District 36, vacated by Charles Blake, who has joined Mayor Scott's office. Here are the two candidates:
- Strengthen public education & return LRSD to local control
- Expand access to healthcare & Medicaid
- Pass renters rights & landlord accountability
- Economic investment in District 36
Legislative Challange: To forge relationships across the aisle and know bills inside and out in order to pass legisliation with a majority Republican Senate and House.
- Community activist/advocate for public education and special needs children
- Longtime resident of Pettaway
- Board positions held: Arkansas Parent Teachers Association, Autism Taskforce, League of Women Voters, Mosaic Templars Cultural Center
- Bachelors in History, University of Texas Arlington. Masters in Higher Education, University of Arkansas Little Rock.
- Work with neighborhood associations to support revitalization & growth
- Identify investment opportunities
- Community safety by working with community leaders, churches, & law enforcement
- Making sure every day people have a seat at the table
Legislative Challange: Reaching across party lines to find common ground and gain allies on political issues.
- Positions Held: Past president, Arkansas Democratic Black Caucus, AR State Director for Barack Obama campaign, State Lead with Organizing for Action.
- Bachelors in Political Science, University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff